12 Days of Christmas

There are quite a few things I really like about Catholicism. It has nurtured in me a love of theatre and ritual in my life. The cycle of religious festivals with appropriate colours, symbols and texts provide a rich stimulus to imagination as well as feeding the never ending questions of life.

Christmas is without doubt far more exciting than Easter. I know the liturgical police and the theological prudes will chase me through the corridors of fidelity for uttering such a heresy. But, let’s face it, cribs, carols, trees, candy cane and the spirit, if not the presence of St Nick all work together to provide a lot more excitement than an empty tomb. And we get 12 days to celebrate as well. I always use this as an excuse for sending Christmas Cards right up until January 6th. Wish someone would tell Australia Post about the 12 Days deal so we could continue using the Christmas stamps after December 31st.

Each year I join the universal competition to provide the mother of all cribs. In my young adult years I lived with a community of Capuchin Franciscan Friars where I was introduced to some of the popular European customs in which the Nativity setting became the impetus for creating an electronic metropolis complete with flying objects and a night sky that would have blown Galileo away.

This year at our local  Domestic Church I have set up my somehwhat scaled down  Nativity scene  after consulting the Vatican Feng Shui web site. The main feature is a hand woven nativity from the Philippines  complete with a couple of wandering sheep. Joining them are other assorted characters from my home decor. They include a Korean couple, a gift from students when I was on staff at ACU,  a couple of random saints,Brigid for the Irish heritage and Jude for those moments of desperation. Centre stage is a Japanese statue of St Francis who is credited with beginning this tradition.


While we might be used to the main stars of the traditional Nativity setting, I have recently taken to adding  Caganers to my domestic Nativity. 

Caganer (Catalan pronunciation: [kəɣəˈne]) is a small statue found in Catalonia, in neighbouring areas with Catalan culture such as Andorra, and in other parts of Spain, Portugal and Italy.

The figure is depicted in the act of defecationCaganer is Catalan for "shitter". My Caganers  in this nativity are the Two Popes, Papa Benny and Papa Frankie.

Why do I include Caganers in the Nativity?

Tradition from another culture
Scatological humour
Finding the Caganer is a fun game. especially for children
The Caganer is fertalizing  the earth
The Caganer  represents he equality of all people regardless of status,  race, gender, religion, everyone defecates!!

There is a Catalan greeting before eating;"menja be caga fort" (Eat well, shit strong)<

Caganer a gift for Christmas, figures, crafts  Check out World Leaders Cajaners here

Out of view (as you would expect) are the “Three Kings”. They are currently on the other side of the room near the TV and will slowly progress to the crib to arrive on schedule for the Epiphany on January 6th. One year I was away and had an external Nativity. A neighbor took on the task of moving the “Three Kings” through the garden to arrive on time. I really think she ducked out late on the night of Jan 5th and gave them an express run through the shrubbery.

I feel sorry for the poor old “Three Kings”. They don’t really get to make much of an appearance as everything gets taken down and put away that night in accordance with a tradition handed down by my wise old grandmother.

Oh,yes,the Rainbow setting is a nod to celebrating a Queer Christmas

So, I hope you are able to enjoy the 12 days of Christmas which take us into the New Year with its promise of joy and peace. Join me during these days as I provide some reflections and observations in this time of transition.

Comments